The word weakness is negatively occupied. In the context of a job application, the positive side of weakness that always exists must be highlighted. Every person has weaknesses, which every person knows. Applicants are often of the opinion that emphasizing their strengths is the only way to the desired position. They even deny that they own weak points. Or they say that they have not come into play in the previous company. They make two mistakes. First, your weaknesses give you reason to fight them to experience self-improvement. Secondly, applicants miss the loyalty to the company, which a future employer will see very negative. The recruitment opportunities are falling rapidly.
Categories of weaknesses
Vulnerabilities that can be criticized can be roughly divided into two categories. Easy to name are the obvious significant weaknesses that are already in the CV. Less obvious are the secret weaknesses that only become apparent in everyday professional life. The latter try to work out human resources through targeted questions in the interview. Get to know the approaches here.
Weaknesses in the CV
A straight-lined CV is becoming increasingly rare. The times when positions and businesses have been kept alive throughout working life are coming to an end. Even during the training stringent courses are no longer standard. Nonetheless, recruiters ask for help in the job interview if there is a change or a gap in the CV. There can hide weaknesses that need to be discovered. A comparison with certificates will be interesting. Applicants should be able to provide a plausible explanation for all of these points in order to explain these points less as real weaknesses, or even to reinterpret them in their own strengths. For the following examples, get perfect answers to make a good impression:
- Prolonged education and studies At school, extensions can be explained with personal and family changes or illnesses that no longer exist. Further inquiries are not expected then. A longer study is very well to clarify with an interim semester abroad, which was not listed separately in the Vita.
- Change of education or field of study A new career orientation is no longer rare. A good reason may be to have previously made too ignorant a decision that has been corrected. Further education can also be used as an argument.
- Times without employment and training Times without recognizable activity are to be filled with a stay abroad, which should however already belong to the resume. Times of unemployment are no longer a rarity, but can be a problem if they last more than six months. At least this time should be filled with further education.
- Unclearly specified times Times that have not been explained in detail are taken up by the HR manager and an explanation is expected. Here the rule applies as in point 3.
- Bad grades in grades Every bad grade in a subject relevant to your job needs to be explained. With further training, such a weakness can be ironed out in hindsight.
- Frequent change of job Another example: when companies and jobs have been changed very often, the reasoning should not be that people talk badly about companies. Personnel will think that their company will also threaten this with this candidate. Bankruptcies and relocations of companies are comprehensible reasons.
- Frequent short occupation of jobs Very often, when jobs are used for a very short time, there is a suspicion that the applicant may not be sufficiently qualified for the new job. This is to be dispelled. Explanations as under point 6 help.
Before a job interview, consider how to explain such points. It can also be considered to change the CV in such a way that gaps are already filled with explanations there. Your application will not fail because of such things, in addition you have in the four-eyes conversation the opportunity to explain negative characteristics in more detail and show why you are suitable for these tasks.
Change personal weaknesses positively
These are properties or soft skills that are not directly identifiable. Personnel will ask questions or get concrete examples. Sometimes the call is made directly to name a few weaknesses. Alternatively, an explanation may be required to describe an operation or a situation in operation. Applicants should be prepared to know an answer as these points are always addressed. The job description should serve as a basis. Properties that are described there directly and indirectly as a prerequisite should be present as your strengths. So only weaknesses should be admitted that do not relate to these aspects. Watchmakers should never be impatient. Sellers should not be aggressive. Managers should not be unreliable. Likewise, it is not advisable to deny weaknesses. Instead, be honest and avoid lies. Personnel will react more snuffy. People who call themselves perfect and flawless are judged to be untrustworthy, arrogant, slick, etc. The best way is to give actual weaknesses that can not affect the specific job. A tip: you as a candidate should be asked in case a list of about sliced etc. judged. The best way is to give actual weaknesses that can not affect the specific job. A tip: you as a candidate should be asked in case a list of about sliced etc. judged. The best way is to give actual weaknesses that can not affect the specific job. A tip: you as a candidate should be asked in case a list of aboutgain five to ten weaknesses to choose from. Do not be afraid: It will not happen that you have to reveal them to a large audience.
- "Often I tend to disorganize and work quickly at my desk, which is perceived as chaos by other people, but I do not lose track of it, I often think of new ways to do it and use a to-do list with things to do to keep the order. " Thus, you have changed a weakness positively and shown insight. The ability to self-criticism is also clear.
- Those who are too shy to give a speech in front of an audience can admit this if the position is not related to leadership tasks, etc. The positive reinterpretation may be to attend a rhetoric course.
- The same is true of the weakness that makes it difficult to express one's opinion in the larger circle. On the positive side, you can be very convincing in private.
- When teamwork is not overwhelming, it can be explained that you will almost always find new ideas when working in small groups. They suggest being creative. But this should only be mentioned in the conversation, if a larger team is not present in the company. After all, it's actually important that you get along well with your colleagues.
- Furthermore, so-called good weaknesses are suitable, which have no relation to the new job. Examples are, for example, learning a second foreign language only slowly, talking too often and too long, not being able to laugh well about oneself, etc. In this case, a staff member will not be able to discover any significant weakness that particularly affects the work.
Concentrate less on your real weaknesses than on your personal strengths. With clever answers and carefully considered own questions you will convince in a personal conversation.